The Transparency Agreement on Animal Research in Spain (‘Acuerdo de transparencia sobre el uso de animales en experimentación científica en España’) is a collaborative project by EARA and the Spanish Confederation of Scientific Societies (COSCE). Inspired by the Concordat on Openness on Animal Research in the UK, the Transparency Agreement contains four commitments for research centres in Spain to provide more information about animal research at their institutions.
At the launch on September 20, 2016, the Transparency Agreement was signed by 90 institutions from across Spain. Signatories include public and private research centres, universities and scientific societies.
By signing up to the Transparency Agreement, the signatories agree to four commitments:
- Speak with clarity about when, how and why animals are used in investigation.
- Provide adequate information to the media and the general public about the conditions under which research using animals is carried out and the results obtained from them.
- Develop initiatives that generate greater knowledge and understanding in society about the use of animals in scientific research.
- Report annually on progress and share experiences.
With the Transparency Agreement, EARA and COSCE aim to work together to foster a climate of openness around animal research in Spain. The four commitments ensure that the Transparency Agreement is an actionable document, which signatories can use to guide their progress toward openness on animal research.
Since the initial launch, more Spanish organisations have signed up to the Transparency Agreement. You can find an up to date list of signatories on our Spanish website.
- Science: Spain joins bandwagon for ‘openness’ about animal research
- Lab Animal Europe: November 2016 issue
- El Mundo: Así se experimenta con animales en España
- El País: Los laboratorios que experimentan con animales abrirán sus puertas
- RTVE: Presentan un acuerdo de transparencia en el uso de animales para experimentación
- Europa Press: Más de 80 instituciones públicas y privadas se comprometen a hacer más transparente la experimentación con animales
- Te Interesa: Un centenar de instituciones firman un acuerdo de transparencia sobre la experimentación animal porque “No hay nada que ocultar”
- Comunica Biotec: Transparencia también en experimentación animal