Responsible to: Executive Director
Salary: Up to £40,000
Benefits: 25 days’ paid holiday per year, employer contribution to pension, plus international travel
Contract: Permanent, full-time (35 hours a week)
Located: Central London
This is a re-advertisement, previous applicants need not reapply
EARA is a European organisation that communicates and advocates biomedical research using animals by providing accurate and evidence-based information. We aim at educating the public on its benefits, cooperating with research stakeholders, and promoting the creation and development of national networks.
Purpose of the Role:
- Lead the implementation of the external communications strategy of the European Animal Research Association (EARA), agreed by the Board and managed by the Executive Director.
- Oversee the writing, production and distribution of internal communications information on the work and output of EARA to our membership.
- Liaise with the EARA Board of experts in the field of animal research, breeding, communications and advocacy.
- Communicate with EARA’s members and other stakeholders effectively about our work
- Create briefings, press releases, website copy, newsletters, leaflets, brochures and other written content for targeted audiences and broader communication purposes
- Develop, produce and deliver effective content and campaigns for EARA’s digital channels, including its website, social media platforms and e-communications
- Manage and expand EARA’s nationally based social media ambassadors
- Develop and maintain good relationships with journalists
- Deliver presentations to EARA’s current and potential stakholders
- Measure the impact of the organisation’s traditional and social media presence and campaigns and provide analytical reports
- Undertake other reasonable tasks required by EARA when needed
- Proven experience of science communications, media relations, social media and website management
- An understanding of the scientific, ethical and moral justification for animal research
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Essential Qualities, skills and experience
- Ability to adapt communications to reach different audiences
- Experience of engaging with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work under pressure, meet agreed deadlines, prioritise workload and maximise the use of time
- Ability to work both as part of a small team and independently
- A commitment to the aims and objectives of EARA
- Written and/or oral competency in another European language is desirable
- To be able to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Willing to undertake occasional travel in the UK and Europe
Please email your CV and an accompanying cover letter explaining how you meet the person specification to email@example.com with the subject heading ‘Communications Manager’. Please also give an indication of when you would be available to start work, as we are keen to fill this post as soon as possible.
The application deadline is Friday 29th September, 17.00 BST. Interviews will take place in London on 5th and 9th October.